Monday, March 19, 2012

I left half of my heart at Gym and Swim...the other half is at home with his nurse :)

The Bit is an AMAZING child.  Don't get me wrong, he has his moments. All kids do. Overall, he is amazing.  I am going to need all of you to point me to this blog on the days he is making me nuts :)  He has Spring Break from kindergarten most of this month and last week was his first ever day camp experience.  As a mother, it was MY first week too. 

This was HARDER that his first day of preschool or KINDERGARTEN.  In preschool, he was there with kids his own age. I could mentally prepare myself for the fact that it was "good for him to socialize." Kindergarten -again kids his own age. PLUS for the first month he was on an augmented schedule to phase him (or me) into the new school schedule.  NOT here, I dropped him off at Gym and Swim and there he was in the para Olympics of all summer camps he was swimming, dry land training and canoeing all day long. He could handle it, but he is my baby and he is with the BIG kids... GULP!!

On Monday, I left that building, without my little blonde cutie beside me and felt like I left half of my heart at Camp.  Half of my heart -beating, exposed and weak only to be ruined by the elements. Scared that the big kids are going to take away the innocence and pureness that makes him who he is and start the shift to turn him into the teenager that he will be...ugh!    

The end of the first day came and when asked how his day went, he said, "Mom I got to save a kid's life today."  For further explanation, he didn't actually save a life, but the canoe tipped and he paddled his over so the kid could get in. Good enough for me. The next day, "Mom, I got to lift up the whole back of a canoe by myself. Wanna see my muscles?"  The week went on and every day he came home with a proud accomplishment and seemed to grow just a tiny bit more as a person.  At the end, sweet Bit, who also has a whole lot of his Mama's personality was presented with the WILD AND CRAZY award. Which he proudly displays on his special shelf.

This week, in my quest to be less unfit than usual, I learned two things:
1. Thank GOD for the Biscuit. Without him, I don't think I could handle Bit growing up without LOTS of medication.
2.  Maybe this half of my heart isn't as
weak as I thought that it was. Maybe, I have put enough work into this half that when tested, it is just as strong as all of the other (bigger) hearts running around out there. This half of my heart, has learned confidence and independence. He is certainly more wild and crazy than some, but that is ok.  After all, wild hearts, can't be broken.  




No comments:

Post a Comment