Sunday, June 24, 2012

T- Minus one day and counting...

WOW!! So here we are.... one day before the BIG day.  I bet a lot of you guys wonder what we are doing. After surviving the second appointmentpalooza on Tuesday... YES, there are two of them. We have treated today just like any other presurgery day.  Remember, our child has some pretty significant medical needs.... we go to the hospital and stay for weeks all the time.  This is the first time we are going where Josh is the patient.  So, today has been spent trying to organize this house.  So the wonderful people that have volunteered to take care of the boys while we are gone don't have to live in the chaos of moving. 


Am I scared???? Heck yeah!!  Today as I looked at Josh and asked him what he wanted to for breakfast, I smiled and said, "Oh and can you do me a favor and not die tomorrow??"  I meant it.  I love my husband, I do. But, the fact of the matter is that I couldn't successfully parent my children without him.  These two are some hard kids to raise!  With regard to the risk of the surgery.  Josh does have two arteries going to his kidney.  Most people have one. This does increase the risk of the procedure for Josh. This risk is something that Josh spoken to the doctors about.  It is a risk that he is willing to take. I support him in this decision.   

So for those of you wondering what it is like on the donor front. This is what the last day before transplant is like.  You wake up and can have breakfast.  Following that, you get a clear liquid diet for the entire day until midnight. Much like a Gremlin, you get cut off after midnight.  About an hour ago Josh had to drink a bottle of Mag Citrate.  This is to start the pre surgical "cleansing."  Poor guy.... We are all speculating that none of this is really necessary.  We think that this is just an evil plot by the hospital to see if he really meant it when he said that Maggie could have his kidney! 

On a lighter note... there is a new girl that has Josh's heart.  I mean she has always had it, but now she REALLY, REALLY has it.  Maggie!  Maggie likes to call Josh. She is so funny!!  A few days ago, we all took the kids Bit, Maggie and Hannah (Maggie's Big Sister) to a Child Life appointment. Child Life is a team at Vanderbilt that will explain procedures to children that either they or a sibling are having. It takes the fear out of things. Sorry, totally off the subject. When I walked into the room she looked at me like I was missing something and said, "Where is Josh??"   I explained to her that he was at work, but he would be all hers on Monday!!   I love that she loves him!  I mean, she doesn't have to and Josh would totally still do this, but it is kind of cute!  They talked on the telephone today.  I am pretty sure that they will have a little "date" once they heal up and start to feel better in the hospital.  Don't worry, I will take pictures. 


It is the best thing ever that another girl has his heart. Soon, she will have his kidney!

No comments:

Post a Comment