Sunday, April 29, 2012

If you can't beat 'em....

The Biscuit is a sensory seeker.  Which means that his body craves sensory input.  When I say crave, I MEAN craves. Craves, like a addict craves their drug of choice. Like I crave cheesecake and chocolate :)

Biscuit's current goal is to try to kill himself in an attempt to gain the sensory input that he craves ALL THE TIME.  One of the things he loves more than anything in the world is to climb in our kitchen sink - with his foot in the garbage disposal- and turn on the water. His other favorite activity is to climb on the washer and dryer and slather himself with Tide and Downy.  He makes a lot of money for the people at Proctor and Gamble. 

So, we have the problem... now we have to find out the solution. Today, I had my first attempt at a Sensory Station.  A safe way for Biscuit to get the sensory input that he craves, while not killing himself OR me :) 

So, I bring to you the Water Marbles.  These little beauties can be purchased on Amazon. Here is a link to some, but you buy what you want.  These are actually used to water plants.  I use them to preserve what little is left of my sanity. 


Water marbles are great!  Biscuit has played with these things more than he has played with anything, except a spray bottle or a screw driver, in his entire life. 


They look like this:

Then, you soak them in water and they look like this:


Biscuit and Bit LOVE these things!  They, are able to put their hands in these things and Biscuit's little proprioceptors get the sensory input that he craves and I get to to the dishes in peace. It is really a win, win!!   You can read more about proprioceptors by clicking on the link above. But, basically, it means that the sensors in his muscles that tell him where he is in space don't work.  So, his little body just feels lost all the time. He craves things pouring on his body because it tells him where he is.  Like, if someone had on an invisible suite and you poured paint on them... he is pouring paint on his invisible suite. 

So, here it is the very, very uncomplicated Sensory Station in use!  Best idea ever!!!





As you can see, I used about 3 different plastic bowls and gave him a few measuring cups.  The kids took care of the rest!   Enjoy! 




3 comments:

  1. Very cool idea! Always looking for new & exciting things for the girls to explore! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I can't look away from my 3 year old for a minute because his latest sensory craving is water. I have pulled him fully dressed out of the shower on more than one occasion this week. I'm hoping these will give him what he is craving without the mess :)

    ReplyDelete