Thursday, April 19, 2012

You wanna know why?? This is why!!

Some of you know, some of you don't. But, our family is in the process of completing a task that could make a huge difference in the life of a little girl. 

When you adopt, you give a piece of your heart to a child.  There are risks involved.  Sometimes things don't go as planned and you get hurt.  Sometimes, things do go as planned and you experience monumental joy.  This time, we AREN'T adopting another child.  Although, I would love to have a little girl.... hint, hint, hint, uh hum... Josh are you reading this?? 

In this circumstance we are trying to give a piece of ourselves. Josh wants to donate a kidney.  A kidney to possibly one of the most beautiful, sweet, little 3 year old girls I have ever seen!  Today, he is doing a 24 hour urinalysis. Obviously carrying a gallon jug of your own urine in a cooler gets some questions.  Obviously, informing others the reason you are carrying the jug gets even more questions.  So,  here are some answers. 

Sweet little girl's mommy... if you are reading this, you may want to turn away now. This could make you cry.  But, you are pretty tough. Do what you want.
The following is an interview with Josh through conversations and questions from others.

Q- "Have you ever met this little girl."
A- "No."

Q- " What makes you want to donate a body part to a child you don't know?"
A- " I would want someone to do this for my child. If it were possible for someone to donate an airway to Biscuit, I would beg them to. I would pray to God for a donor. I would do it myself it I could. I know the pain that her parents feel and I would do anything to stop another parent from experiencing that pain"

Q- " Don't you know that it is going to hurt and be very hard on you?"
A- " In this circumstance, there are two types of pain that I could feel.  One type of pain is a physical pain.  I am going to have to have some tests ran, be poked and prodded. With luck, I am going to lay on a table and let a team of highly trained professionals remove my kidney.  The other type of pain is the emotional pain of knowing that a mother and father are grieving their daughter and I didn't even try to help.  To me, I would rather experience the physical pain and give her hope."

Q- " How would you feel if she rejected the kidney."
A- " Devastated. I think it would upset anyone if things didn't happen like you wanted them to in any circumstance. Especially, one this serious.  But, I would also hope that this transplant allowed her to experience some more of the things that life has to offer.  Allow her to go to her prom, have her Dad walk her down the aisle or maybe have a baby (ummm in like 50 years.)  Maybe, she could just go to kindergarten. Either way, she had time."


I think that pretty much sums up the majority of the questions that we get asked. People can think that we are both crazy for wanting to take this on in the middle of our crazy life.  Personally, neither of us care what people think.  I think that people, as a rule, are selfish.  Forty percent of the population has the same blood type as this little sweet heart and I want to know why people aren't lined up around the block to try to donate.  No, we aren't saints. No, we aren't crazy.  Yes, we just want to make a difference in the world.  If we have to do it one little person at a time. Then, that is what we will do.

So, we are packing up right now to go to a hotel closer to the  hospital. Appointmentpalooza starts at 7:30am sharp.  Please, PLEASE pray. Pray that Josh is the one.  Although, I know of at least two other potential donors for this sweet baby... I want the roller coaster ride her family is on to be over.  Let's do this!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Praise God for people like you. All I can say is thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from a family friend of this sweet little lady. I thank you. Thank you for taking the risk. thank you for going through this with them and for them. Thank you for trying to help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete